How to treat Buttock pain or Piriformis syndrome?
- Take rest.
- Apply ice pack. Even heat may help relieve symptoms.
- A physical therapist can suggest a program of exercises and stretches to reduce the
compression of sciatic nerve.
- Try avoiding positions that trigger pain.
- Anti-inflammatory muscle relaxants, or injections with a corticosteroid or anesthetic can be taken as well.
- Surgery is the last resort.
This article has been authored by Dr. Ridwana Sanam in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not reflect the views of GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Please note that no part of this website content is intended as medical advice. Kindly visit your doctor for diagnosis and medical advice for your knee problems/pain.
1. Textbook of Orthopedics by J Maheshwari
2. Therapeutics Exercise- Foundations and techniques by Carolyn Kisner and Lynn Allen Colby
3. Muscle testing and Function with posture and Pain by Florence Peterson Kendall